Subject: Re: 3Com ep0
To: , <tech-smp@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 11/30/2001 00:53:33
Some of the BIOS fopr these MP systems have been konowd to be dire....

With (multiple) ioapic systems the BIOS has to assign some IRQ to the ISA
bus and others to the PCI bus - the IRQ routing is entirely different
for the two cases.

It is not impossible that the bios allocates IRQ to isa pnp that are also
allocoted to PCI cards!

With EISA/PCI/ISA pnp systems the scope for BIOS errors is exceptional!
(We had one BIOS that failed to allocate an IRQ to an EISA card because
it had already given it to someone else!)

Was also fun persuading people that we had hardware interrupting on IRQ>15
on 'PC' type systems...

    David