Subject: Re: SMP success
To: None <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 09/18/2001 14:01:10
On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:45:45AM +0300, jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com wrote:
> A success story with BP6, sources from 06092001 + sommerfeld_i386mp_1 branch.
> Everything seems to work nicely, purely cpu bound benchmarks seem to
> scale almost linearly. Very nice indeed! I played around with it for a while
> but didn't dare to hack too much (remote connection via ssh and the machine
> was not blessed with a RealWeasel).
>
> Are we going to see SMP in 1.6 ? I still haven't had the time to test
> VAX 8350 with SMP but I'll try ASAP. Kudos to everyone involved!

SMP for alpha and VAX is already in, so that'll be in 1.6. SMP for i386
is pretty much a "must have" for 1.6, we are aiming to get it in.
Unfortunately, Bill has been busy at work. I wanted to have a go
at finishing some of his work, but then I ran out of time too..
I may have next week available, so hopefully things will get moving
in the right direction.

- Frank