Subject: Re: isp(4) and overlapping commands (-i386, -current+sommerfeld_i386mp_1)
To: None <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: tech-smp
Date: 05/27/2001 23:38:43
Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us> writes:

> there's something very very wrong performance-wise with rm -rf and
> softdeps these days -- the system develops a massive backlog of vnode
> operations which take "forever" to chew through.  I haven't looked
> into it yet, though..

Hm... I hadn't really noticed that, mostly because w/o
softdeps it takes forever to rm -r a big tree, so it's
still MUCH faster.

> I take it that you're running with MULTIPROCESSOR, LOCKDEBUG, and !DDB?

MULTIPROCESSOR yes
LOCKDEBUG yes because I wanted to see where the hangs were
          (although since the cont cont trick led to a
           subsequent panic anyway, I'll probably turn off
           LOCKDEBUG again as soon as the locking problem
           is narrowed down, since the proc size difference is
           painful for things like systat(1))
DDB yes but running X

        Sean.