Subject: Re: Timeline for i386 SMP?
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-smp
Date: 05/27/2000 11:06:59
On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 10:02:52PM -0700, Michael Graff wrote:

> It looks like the company I work for is going to go with FreeBSD,
> since it has SMP and NetBSD doesn't.  I would really like to fix this,
> and if I can at least show that there are plans to support SMP on
> NetBSD/i386 sometime "soonish" I might be able to.

You may want to follow some of the 'Big Giant Lock' thread from FreeBSD,
here:

http://www.astro.cf.ac.uk/pub/Seung-Hoon.Cha/COMPUTER/FREEBSD/SMP/index.html

Have you analyzed the company's application to determine whether big lock
SMP will actually provide a useful performance gain in your app?

All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!
					      - me