Subject: 2nd try on a 4 processors machine
To: None <sommerfeld@netbsd.org,>
From: None <eric.delcamp@legrand.fr>
List: tech-smp
Date: 03/16/2000 14:51:10
Hi !

This time, the machine is a little different. It's a COMPAQ Proliant 5500 with 4
Pentium Pro/200 processors (512 Kb of cache), 768 Mb of RAM, and a SMART Array
Controller 2DH with 2 9.1 Gb drives.

- First try : latest SMP kernel (the one who ask 2 times the floppies 1 & 2 ;-).
After the following message :
[ preserving 236768 bytes of netbsd ELF symbol table ]
Copyright .....
panic: vm_page_physget: called _after_ bootstap

OK, same message than the first try one month ago. Well, I think I know where
the problem is. I removed some memory, and try it again.
COMPAQ Proliant 5500 with 4 Pentium Pro/200 processors (512 Kb of cache), 256 Mb
of RAM, and a SMART Array Controller 2DH with 2 9.1 Gb drives

-Second try: Yahoo, it's booting ! Here is what I saw on the screen :
md0: internal 1587K image area
in6_ifattach_getifid: failed to get EUI64boot device: fd0
root on md0a dumps on md0b
mountroot: .......
cpu1: starting
cpu1: init idle stack ptr is 0xd2599fa0
cpu failed to become ready
stopped in swapper at cpu_Debugger+0x4: leave
(cpu 3)db>c
cpu2: starting
cpu2: init idle stack ptr is 0xd259bfa0
cpu failed to become ready
stopped in swapper at cpu_Debugger+0x4: leave
(cpu 3)db>c
cpu3: starting
cpu3: init idle stack ptr is 0xd259dfa0
cpu failed to become ready
stopped in swapper at cpu_Debugger+0x4: leave
(cpu 3)db>c

(It's me that typed the 'c' command on debugger line. If you know a better way,
say it to me, more on this later)

After the last 'c', the system try to launch the install script, but is VERY
SLOW. Really, 10 minutes to print the menu on the screen. Then, system will be
dead, because it wont accept any input on the keyboard, and even CAPSLOCK don't
react. I couldn't dump the dmesg on a useful media.

I have made a 3rd try. This time, I used the previous kernel, the one that don't
understand EISA bus. Same hardware (256 Mb of mem.) :

cou3 at mainbus0: apid 2 (application processor)
cpu3: family 6 model 1 step 9
cpu3: Intel Pentium Pro (686-class)
cpu3: features fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu3: features fbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV>
cpu3: kstack at 0xd2563000, idle sp at 0xd2564fa0

And some errors message about EISA config (sorry, that the only part that is
still visible on the screen). I couldn't do serial boot on this.

Some conclusions :
-1- I really need a kernel that can boot on the original config (with all the
memory). The fact that I could remove some memory on a production server is
exceptional, and could not be accepted next time.
-2- If someone know a better way to use the debugger than typing 'c' to continue
is welcome. I think I could get better information (and maybe the dmesg messages
?) but don't know how.
-3- a report like this one is not really useful without the complete boot
messages. But I couldn't do a serial boot. We need to find a way to dump dmesg
to disk, even if the system is halted or in the debugger.

Any comments are welcome.

PS: If someone has another ideas and floppies with a kernel that support 768 Mb
of RAM, I even could do a try today. After that, the machine return in
production jobs.

L'integrite de ce message n'etant pas assuree sur Internet, la societe
ne peut etre tenue responsable de son contenu.
Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de le detruire et
d'avertir l'expediteur.

The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.
The society cannot therefore be considered responsible for the contents.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, then please delete
it and notify the sender.