Subject: Re: Quad CPU SS20
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Erik Berls <cyber@dis.org>
List: tech-smp
Date: 09/24/1999 09:35:01
] I've been scrounging bits to build a multi-cpu beast so I can help
] with the SMP effort.
]
] I've been offered a quad cpu kit (4 x 125MHz Hypersparc) for my SS20.
] Unfortunately the kit requires a firmware update and the eprom that
] cam with the kit, is still in the machine the cpu's were recovered
] from and they don't know which one it is anymore :-)
]
] Has anyone heard of these beasts before?  When the kit arrives I'll be
] able to check with the oem about getting a new eprom - assuming they
] still exist.
]
] While I suspect that tracking down another 75MHz cpu to match the one
] I have would be the sensible thing to do, 4x125MHz sounds worth a bit
] of effort to get it working.

You want prom rev 2.25 I believe, MCE has then and will ship, (they are
not that expensive)  www.mce.com.  Call them up and tell them what you
have, if the sales guy waffles at all, ask if you could speak to a tech,
most of the sales guys are pretty good, but it seems that have some new
blood there.

I'd love to have that sort of power in my system.. currently im trying
to figure out what the highest cpu combination is that will work in
an ss20.  (ie: did they make a dual board in 150, 200?)  That 75MHz cpu
that you have in there wouldnt be a SuperSparc II by any chance? [#-)

If anyone has a ss10 with a 30MHz cpu, I have a TMS390 I'm willing to
part with.

-=erik.