Subject: Re: MP patches for i386 vs. -current
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Stefan Grefen <Stefan.Grefen@tantau.com>
List: tech-smp
Date: 07/25/1999 15:53:06
Stefan Grefen wrote:

> In message <v6pv1phj5j.fsf@kechara.flame.org>  Michael Graff wrote:
> > Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com> writes:
> >
> > > The patches are against a pre 1.4 system, which system did you
> > > compile?
> >
> > 1.4G, aka -current.
>
> If I get some time (maybe tuesday), I'll try to compile a current see
> whats going on.

Finally I got some time, and the patches (adjusted for pmap kthread changes)
just worked against -current from Saturday morning.

So in your case either the Motherboard doesn't set up the Celerons
correctly (there is no fallback code in the SMP patches yet) or one
of them doesn't work (but if it shows up in the BIOS it should be ok).

Do you have BIOSCALLS configured? A long shot (I don't think you need them,
but I have them configured and SMP initializes the page behind it, and
maybe I missed an initialisation somewhere).

I'll try to add the reset/start dance to the code for cases where the
BIOS didn't set up the CPU's correctly.

My dmesg output:

NetBSD 1.4G (SMP) #0: Sat Jul 24 13:16:58 CEST 1999
    grefen@xx:/data/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/SMP
cpu0: family 6 model 5 step 2
cpu0: Intel Pentium II (Deschutes) (686-class)
total memory = 127 MB
avail memory = 115 MB
using 1659 buffers containing 6636 KB of memory
mainbus0 (root)
Warning: Configuration Table checksum error
itlmps0 at mainbus0: Intel SMP specification (Rev. 1.1)
  found at 0xf5a70 in BIOS[16]
  Board OEMId [OEM00000] ProdId [PROD0000]
cpu0 at itlmps0: (bootprocessor) running
cpu0: family 6 model 5 step 2
cpu0: Intel Pentium II (Deschutes) (686-class)
cpu1 at itlmps0: ({}) started
cpu1: family 6 model 5 step 2
cpu1: Intel Pentium II (Deschutes) (686-class)
apic0 at itlmps0 at 0xfec00000
apic0: io-apic id 2, vers 11
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1

[...]

apm0 at mainbus0: Power Management spec V1.1 (slowidle)
apm0: A/C state: on
apm0: battery charge state: no battery
biomask 4c40 netmask 4e40 ttymask 4ec2
boot device: wd0