Re: open()ing a directory without O_DIRECTORY

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 11:57 AM Christos Zoulas <christos%zoulas.com@localhost> wrote:

On Mar 3, 2019, at 2:49 PM, George Georgalis <george%galis.org@localhost> wrote:
If a sysctl is added to overwrite (file/directory) data on delete, I would suggest at least 3 settings, 1) none, 2) background, low priority overwrite, 3) atomic blocking, ie the rm command doesn't return until successful overwrite completes.
I don't think it is going to be expensive to zero the directory entry on delete. We are not talking about the data (only the metadata).

Oh I thought the conversation had expanded to over writing old file data too, which would seem a grater value add than the dirent overwrite.

--
George Georgalis, (415) 894-2710, http://www.galis.org/