Re: cgd (encrypted disk) support in bootblocks (Was: summer of code - scrub feature)

Hi,

FreeBSD allows encryption of root partition and may be good start.

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/fahrplan/attachments/586-paper_Complete_Hard_Disk_Encryption.pdf

I have tried that approach about a year ago and successfully performed installation. Also discussed with author, Marc Schiesser, because tutorial should be updated according to FreeBSD 7.x and 8.x versions. I have these notes in my archive.

Basic idea is that:

1- Run fixit disc of FreeBSD which is a live-cd with various FreeBSD (own) utilities. Dont forget to load geom_eli module.

2- Partition the hard drive, and then, create geli slices (partitions).

3- Run sysinstall and address the geli partitions as install target. Everything is isntalled into geli partition.

4- Once finished the work, copy kernel, kernel modules to ie; a usb ram. In other words, prepare boot-only usb disk

5- Once everything is complete, boot from usb. It asks passphrase of geli slice and mounts geli root as root

6- Remove usb ram.

Regards,
Cem

David Brownlee, 03/23/09 18:54: