Subject: Algorithm number/name allocation for opencrypto?
To: None <tech-crypto@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/08/2007 08:20:08
Our current opencrypto framework is missing a number of transforms
supported by most current hardware, perhaps because they weren't
implemented by, or documented for, the original hardware for which we
supply device drivers.  In particular, I have hardware that directly
supports RSA rather than just accellerating modmult, and hardware that
can directly perform SSL record encryption and decryption with hash
checking.

For the former (RSA operations) it seems like I just need to allocate
new algorithm names and numbers, but I want to be sure I don't collide
with any other provider of this interface.  The latter will require
some more careful thought.  In any event, where is the right place to
discuss these changes, and what other work should I look at?  I'm
aware of the Xcelerance work on accellerating IPsec using record
operations.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."	      - Noam Chomsky