Subject: re: Secretly monopolizing the CPU w/o superuser privileges?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-security
Date: 07/14/2007 04:14:07

   I've stumbled across [1] which describes a way to use cpu ressources in a
   way that does sub-tick task-switching, so that other processes get
   accounted while the mallicious process still takes an arbitrary CPU whare.
   Apparently FreeBSD's 4BSD and ULE schedulers are vulnerable.

   I wonder how NetBSD goes in that regard - can you tell?

i've read most of this paper earlier this week.  as far as i can
tell and know, we are affected by it.  i've noticed the problem
(mainly between X and mplayer, like they did), but i didn't take
the next step and think about abuse (like they have.)

.mrg.