Subject: Re: per-user /tmp
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: bob smith <sfmc68@verizon.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 02/04/2007 08:23:39
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 06:57:21 +0200
> Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> christos suggested we can make the code in login(1) a bit smarter: it
>> would readlink("/tmp") and if it's a symlink, it would take the
>> componenet of the link target up to "@uid" (say, "/private/tmp", in
>> the case of "/private/tmp/@uid") and create the private temp dir
>> there.
>>

> Maybe we can think a bit more ambitiously about this, and have
> per-process mounted file systems, similar to Plan 9's.  These would be
> inherited via fork(), of course.
>
> My suggestion raises some interesting questions for setuid programs,
> but I suspect that yours does, too.
>

> 		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

Steve,
you have gently hit on the issue that made me think of the humorous side
of this effort - I still find humor where other don't - and that is the
range of testing and verification that will have to be done to ensure
that this does not produce a vulnerability.
Yes, it is a good idea. Yes, there will have to be some solid work, not
just on Setuid programs but other applications that make assumptions
about /tmp access.

bad bob

--
But I do love the work.