Subject: Re: replace chroot() with a chroot overlay file system?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/03/2005 13:10:22
--hdMwqcnXK86+cyrC

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 07:49:59PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I'm thinking out loud here, so I may easily be confused, but...
>=20
> What if we replaced the chroot() system call by an overlay file
> system, mounted over some subtree?  The advantage is that that file
> system could be mounted read-only, nosuid, nodev, even noexec.

Two points, stated somewhat facetiously for dramatic effect (or
something):

 * This and some of the followup sounds a lot like you want (or might
   soon afterwards want) per-process mounts.  While I can think of a
   number of other potentially useful things to do with such an
   animal, "if you want plan9 you know where to find it" :-)

 * Systrace is probably a far more effective way to express the
   permissions you want your overlay to enforce than writing a new
   filesystem each time - and if it's not, perhaps that's where
   improvements should go?

--
Dan.
--hdMwqcnXK86+cyrC