Subject: Re: rc.d script for adding static ARP entries
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Nino Dehne <ndehne@gmail.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/28/2005 15:59:59
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 01:46:51PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> Hm.  I wanted to have this script called before NETWORKING, just like
> ipfilter, for security reasons.  I didn't notice this problem since my
> router has a CF card as wd0 and has /usr on the same filesystem as /.
>
> What do you think would be an appropriate time in the boot-sequence to call
> this script?  And is there a way to "debug" rc.d scripts for conflicts like
> this?

I think the proper way to debug this would be to include
"REQUIRE: mountcritremote" if the script uses commands in /usr in the first
place. rcorder(8) should then complain about a circular dependency.

I'm not sure about when to call the script in the boot order.

Also, may I suggest "staticarp" as a name for the script and maybe
/etc/arp.conf as a filename? There already is staticroute and route.conf,
hence the thought.

Regards,

ND