Subject: Re: Google contest
To: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/02/2005 15:26:14
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 04:33:20PM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just mailed Jann Schaumann about the Google `Summer of Code' contest.
> I would like to try my hand at the implementation of a BSD privacy guard,
> but I'm afraid this project would be a bit too big to do in the short
> timespan of the contest.  Also, I don't really have knowledge on
> cryptography yet.  Are the algorithms difficult to implement?

You can get all the algorithms from OpenSSL, which is already essentially
BSD licensed.  The real work is in two areas:

1) Parsing and generating the OpenPGP message format

2) Getting key policy right.  This is one of the things that GnuPG does
   worst, and an area where substantial improvement could be made.

Thor