Subject: Re: spamd (was Re: CVS commit: src/etc)
To: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 04/12/2005 14:17:01
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Dick Davies wrote:

> Nobody suggests moving sshd_config because there's one in pkgsrc -
> spamassassin config lives in /usr/pkg/etc/spammassassin anyway.

I'm sorry, but you can't say that "nobody" has problems with this sort
of thing, because I do. I'm *very* strongly in favour of having our
default package build configurations use /etc, not /usr/pkg/etc, and I
have argued this for years.

Last I checked, ssh was different and special, for no good reason that
I can see that doesn't apply to other programs as well. Other programs
included with NetBSD quietly use a different configuration file after
you've upgraded from the NetBSD base system version. (From looking at
the Makefile, perhaps ssh now does, too.)

The current situation with where configuration files are located
for packages is internally inconsistent and can lead to "suprise
configurations" when upgrading or downgrading some programs, as well as
to programs breaking because their configuration files are no longer
mounted at that time during boot.

It's certainly no example to use for something else.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
      Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA