Subject: Re: FUD about CGD and GBDE
To: None <soralx@cydem.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/08/2005 08:17:43
--6zdv2QT/q3FMhpsV

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:43:13AM -0700, soralx@cydem.org wrote:
>=20
> > I also believe that it would be beneficial to implement regular rewriti=
ng
> > of randomly picked lock sector(s) at random times during a user specifi=
ed
> > interval (up to x rewrites within n seconds) in order to further obscure
> > the write pattern and provide additional protection for lock sectors.
>=20
> I agree.=20

I don't. Hiding the lock sector is pointless for hot disk attacks. A
malicious SAN administrator (and other intermediaries, if transport
encryption is not used) can identify the lock sector trivially,
because gbde decrypts its location and tells you: it goes straight
there on startup.

--
Dan.

--6zdv2QT/q3FMhpsV