Subject: Re: FUD about CGD and GBDE
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/03/2005 11:37:31
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 05:31:34PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <200503021910.j22JAGCH081224@marlena.vvi.at>, "ALeine" writes:
>
> >Not necessarily, if one were to implement the ideas I proposed
> >I believe the performance could be kept at the same level as now.
>
> I gave up on journalling myself because IMO it complicates
> things a lot and the problem it solves is very very small.
>
> The impact in disk seeks is non-trivial to predict, but it is
> very hard to argue that it will not lead to an increase in
> disk seeks.  (This is really a variant of the age old argument
> between jounaling filesystems and "traditional" filesystems)
>
> I can only recommend that you try :-)
>
> We need more ideas and more people trying out ideas.

I could not disagree more.  When it comes to nonstandard homebrewed
cryptosystems foisted off on unsuspecting users with a bundle of
claims of algorithm strength that they're not competent to evaluate
for themselves, we do not need more ideas, nor more people trying
out ideas; we need less.

Standard, widely analyzed cryptographic algorithms are good.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky