Subject: Re: Preventative security features?
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Dmitri Nikulin <setagllib@optusnet.com.au>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/15/2004 14:04:54
David Maxwell wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
>

>>>NetBSD's method was given high praise.
>>>

>>Weird, maybe nmap's algorithms just aren't right for this kind of thing.
>>

>I'm not sure I follow you - in the last 24 hours, you posted nmap output
>showing NetBSD as being rated with the highest category of sequence
>number patterning that nmap has.

Really? I saw a lot of 9's in FreeBSD. That must be an nmap feature...
999999999 not necessarily being the best, just looking like it.
Oh well, thanks for that clearup. My mistake indeed.

>>Okay, features that still make sense after all discussion:
>>
>>-Blackholing (even if only to save packet filtering efforts)
>>

>Do you mean something other than this?
>
>http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2002/12/27/0021.html

Other: in FreeBSD it's (something like) net.inet.tcp.blackhole and
net.inet.udp.blackhole. These make non-listening ports NOT return
ICMP/RST messages saying they're not open, instead pretending it never
got a request. Thusly a machine can open a port solidly in the packet
filter and have it be just as 'stealthly' until a service is listening,
at which point you want it to be open anyway. I relied on this kind of
thing for very temporary port openings (e.g. MSN file transfers) without
losing the anonymity of a non-responding machine.
You can emulate this by dropping certain packets on their way out, but
compared to the graceful 'if' solution at the code level, it seems a bit
hackish.

>>-TTY snooping
>>

>That's a curiousity for me, but I'm not convinced it's a critical
>feature.

Well of course not critical, else by definition NetBSD would be 'dead'
now, and so would every non-FreeBSD system out there. It is still a
feature that has a lot of uses, the least of which are security-related.