Subject: Re: Preventative security features?
To: None <tech-security@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/14/2004 12:29:42
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:28:17 -0500
Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com> wrote:

> I am checking on the macppc list to see if it is possible that due to
> some overlap of disk formatting methods sysinst can pick up NetBSD
> installs in a life prior to a MacOS HFS life.

I have communication indicating that there is a possibility that under
the conditions I described sysinst might pick up previous NetBSD
installs even after a MacOS formatting, due to locations of each within
the Master Block 0. Without doing a low-level reformatting, it is
possible that Apple's Disk Tools won't affect the NetBSD info while
leaving the entire disk MacOS HFS. Sysinst then picks this up and
presents it as the default for a new installation. This probably does
not affect other architectures.

tim