Subject: Re: Preventative security features?
To: Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/14/2004 08:43:57
Hi Havard,

> > NetBSD Problem Report #22508
> >
> > when installing on 2G drive w/ less than 100mb root partition
> > sysinst failed.  Ran out of space in /tmp.  Workaround was to
> > symlink /tmp into/usr/tmp to get enough space.
>
> I've looked at the PR, and it is relatively light in information
> content.  It's not really clear to me in which phase of the
> installation the root partition is filling up, and whether it is the
> target's /tmp which fills up, whether it's the ramdisk's /tmp which
> fills up (and why), or wheter it is /tmp which fills up and not the
> (target?) root file system due to use of some other directory which
> ends up in the root file system.

I actually didn't run into the problem in sysinst - I ran into it
building -current userland. It was very difficult for me to figure out
what was filling up as well because when I ran df, it would show only
95% usage of /. However, when I followed the workaround of symlinking
/tmp (and /var) to a directory on a larger partition, / stays around 85%
and -current userland builds. That's why I made the connection that / is
being made too small in sysinst as indicated by the PR.

> Having installed systems myself with root partitions smaller than
> 100MB (but with separate /var and /usr), I have a need for more
> detailed information in order to be able to follow up on that.  Please
> append information to the problem report by using a subject line of
> "Re: install/22508: sysinst fails with small /tmp" (I think the
> "install/22508" is the required part to have the message appended
> properly to the PR) and by CC'ing gnats-bugs@gnats.NetBSD.org.

I haven't been following up on your earlier email to me about this
because I haven't gathered enough information that I felt would be
useful. Is the focus of a solution figuring out sysinst's problem or
making / bigger? If it's the latter, my thoughts were that this might be
a good opportunity to offer partition themes.

tim