Subject: Re: Preventative security features?
To: None <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/14/2004 14:24:44
> In the same topic as what is being discussed, I think that the defaul=
> partitioning scheme for the installer needs revising. I did a fresh R=
C2
> install (macppc) a couple weeks ago and found that it still had a
> default / of 32M and the rest to /usr. A PR was filed in the past:
>
> NetBSD Problem Report #22508
>
> when installing on 2G drive w/ less than 100mb root partition sysinst=

> failed.  Ran out of space in /tmp.  Workaround was to symlink /tmp in=
> /usr/tmp to get enough space.

I've looked at the PR, and it is relatively light in information
content.  It's not really clear to me in which phase of the
installation the root partition is filling up, and whether it is the
target's /tmp which fills up, whether it's the ramdisk's /tmp which
fills up (and why), or wheter it is /tmp which fills up and not the
(target?) root file system due to use of some other directory which
ends up in the root file system.

Having installed systems myself with root partitions smaller than
100MB (but with separate /var and /usr), I have a need for more
detailed information in order to be able to follow up on that.  Please
append information to the problem report by using a subject line of
"Re: install/22508: sysinst fails with small /tmp" (I think the
"install/22508" is the required part to have the message appended
properly to the PR) and by CC'ing gnats-bugs@gnats.NetBSD.org.

Regards,

- H=E5vard