Subject: Re: Preventative security features?
To: Dmitri Nikulin <setagllib@optusnet.com.au>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/13/2004 09:54:49
Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
> Randomizing PIDs doesn't seem that useful (unless somebody can argue
> this), but TCP sequence numbers (Free and OpenBSD get a maximally hard
> score, NetBSD doesn't) and all that /could/ be useful. Of course this
> has to be done without any ghastly overhead that would add a lot of
> latency to packet generation.

IIRC we do randomize TCP sequence numbers.

> Anonymizing is useful though. If there is some exploit released that
> affects only some systems and NetBSD is one of the few, then the time
> between the exploit being known and being patched is when any system
> advertising itself as NetBSD is more likely to be targetted by some
> lamer. Of course on the other hand they could just waste time hammering
> every system out there and hoping something worked.

Arguably, it's about as hard to try the exploit as to run nmap
against the machine.

> One thing that is definitely a very good privacy/security feature is
> what FreeBSD implemented that can prevent users seeing the PIDs (or
> indeed any info) of processes they don't own, via ps or top or whatever
> else. Nobody can argue that this is a Good Thing on a shared shell
> server. Whether or not this is easy to implement cleanly is another matter.

This might indeed be useful. I had a look into this, and it seems
this could easily be implemented with one condition in
init_sysctl.c:sysctl_doeproc(), plus some sysctl machinery
to export setting to userland.

> stalk or manipulate users. I find this really handy to give interactive
> tutorials into Unix usage to newbies without having to re-ask at every
> moment "well what's happening?" and without having to tell them to run
> screen. Of course the security of watching for attempts at local
> exploits is a huge benefit too.

This also seems useful. I think it wouldn't be too hard to implement
using some 'intercept' hook in tty layer.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-