Subject: Re: Preventative security features?
To: Dmitri Nikulin <setagllib@optusnet.com.au>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/12/2004 20:43:23
Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
> Is there any reason NetBSD doesn't implement many preventative security
> features?

Why do you think so - can you privide any examples of particular
security feature you'd like to see in NetBSD?

> Is there a reason these things (blackholes, randomization of kernel
> data, etc) aren't done in NetBSD? If not, does anybody object to work
> done to bring them in to -current? I'd certainly like features like
> that, even if I have to code them myself.

Useful additions are always welcome :) But don't get yourself
fooled into thinking that certain things a bit more random provides
any security benefit.

> At the very least, the ability to run nmap against a NetBSD machine and
> have it be completely unknown, even with plenty of open and closed ports
> available. Free and OpenBSD can do this just with a few sysctl runs,
> Linux stands no chance, but NetBSD should be up with its brothers and
> not alongside Linux.

Why would anonymizing be any useful? Security by obscurity?

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-