Subject: Re: kern.showallprocs implementation
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/28/2004 15:33:15
--9ADF8FXzFeE7X4jE

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:01:23AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Rui Paulo wrote:
> > The diff is in attachment, although I'm not really sure if `cvs diff` i=
s the
> > best way to submit diff's to the mailing list.
>=20
> "cvs diff -u" is far more readable.

Agreed.

> > What do you guys think ? Is it ok ?
>=20
> No idea - i guess it can't hurt to have it, but with standard Unix
> semantics by default, i.e. show all users' processes.

True, but there are a number of situations where something like this is=20
very useful. Consider a computing facility whose customers are in=20
competition with each other. In those cases, keeping users from seeing=20
other processes is a very good thing. For instance the Airbus engineers=20
might not want the Boeing engineers to see what simulations they are=20
running.

As for normal Unix behavior, my understanding is that the default will be=
=20
to show everything. :-)

Take care,

Bill