Subject: Re: mmap(), security and /dev/zero
To: None <cjs@cynic.net>
From: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/23/2004 19:23:20
At Thu, 24 Jun 2004 01:02:17 +0000 (UTC), "Curt Sampson" wrote:
> I don't quite understand this. Ought not any page in core backed by a
> page on a noexec filesystem be marked non-executable, regardless of any
> other circumstances?

heh.  so, to clone your statement, "ought not any page in core backed
by a page in a noexec file be marked non-executable..." ?  8-)

(AFAIK, the same permission check would apply to either, namely: "can
this file be used for execution?")

There's still nothing to stop programs which do their own loading (X?
others?), but they should be taught to respect the bits (both file and
noexec) too.

cgd