Subject: Re: adding gpg to src/gnu/dist
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@ra.bullers.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/17/2004 20:40:44
Marc Tooley wrote:

> > [I wrote:]
> > Unless I have (for the sake of a really sick example) a windows
> > box with internet connectivity, and want to pull packages onto that
> > box, verify them, and move them off (by sneakernet) to the "N"
> > boxes where they are actually getting installed.
> >
> > Is anyone ever going to want to do something that lame?

> Try to get past your prejudices for a moment, and imagine a scenario
> that doesn't involve your baseless assumptions about me, okay Jon?

No prejudices or assumptions were intended.  I merely picked windows
as the most un-BSD like system off the top of my head.  Perhaps I
should have said VMS or VM/360 instead.  But I just got a new
laptop, and it has WinXP on it, and is now perhaps the fastest
machine in the house.  I could see myself grabbing packages on it,
verifying them and then installing on the SparcStation LX which is
about a jillion times slower.  (It does SMTP and NAT for the house
net. It's too slow for most anything else, and literally takes
several minutes to setup an SSH connection.)

My statements honestly didn't have the slightest thing to do with
you or anyone else on this thread.  I'm sorry you took them that
way.

Jon