Subject: Re: adding gpg to src/gnu/dist
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/13/2004 15:20:47
>    Simon> That may sound like a lot of mucking about - especially
>    Simon> compared to the peer to peer model of GPG or SSH, but it has
>    Simon> advantages in terms of scalability (which are perhaps not
>    Simon> particularly important here).

>  Frankly, you said it all here.

Yes and no.  I should have said "on the face of it GPG et al seem simpler"
but once you start to factor into it all the fun people go through
with "key signing parties" and such, the simpler model isn't so simple.

openssl may be sub-optimal as a tool, but its nice to be able
to describe a simple pipeline as in my example whereby people can
verify that your fancy tools are doing what you think.

--sjg