Subject: Re: disklabel(8) and machdep on-disk structures issues
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org, tech-security@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-security
Date: 11/08/2003 01:53:09
>> I still think we should change DIOCWDINFO to write the raw label,
>> even if there is no raw label.  [...]
> I agree -- I like encapsulating this code in one place, and only one
> place; and we can then prohibit user writes of the disklabel sectors
> all the time, no matter what,

I would find this last significantly annoying if it were to ever make
it into any version I use; I regularly clone whole disks with (the
moral equivalent of) dd if=/dev/rsd0c of=/dev/rsd1c.  Forcing
special-casing of the label sectors would be a right pain in the butt.

"Significantly annoying" as in a private patch to dike the code out
would instantly go into my private patches.  (Arguably making it a
sysctl would be a better reaction, but I'm disinclined to put effort
into a better implementation of something I think is a bad idea to
start with.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign