Subject: Re: BSD auth for NetBSD
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/11/2003 00:42:25
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Bill Studenmund wrote:

: Note: last week I was thinking we would just have to have both, since
: unifying would be such a mess. I now thing we will have three classes of
: apps: ones written explicitly for BSD Auth, ones written explicitly for
: PAM, and ones written for libc/nsswitch.  The NetBSD-shipped apps would be
: in the latter category, so that one binary distribution could serve as the
: basis for both BSD Auth and PAM using instalations.

If that were the case, with dynamic nsswitch modules, then neither BSD auth
nor PAM even need to be in the base system.  (There's already a growing
pkgsrc PAM module base, and all you'd need would be a package that glues PAM
to the dynamic nsswitch API.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>