Subject: Re: pw_dup(3)
To: None <kleink@reziprozitaet.de>
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/10/2003 21:12:27
> > 	i propose to bring in BIND8, and the proposal got rejected.
> > 	i still think BIND8 is the way to go.
> Actually, how is that issue related to passwd/group database
> operations, other than tossing nsswitch?

	to make frontend database lookup functions (getadddrinfo for hostname,
	getpwent_r for password for instance) thread safe backend for almost
	every lookup functionality is required.  it is a very huge amount of
	work.  BIND8 provides all of them.  there's no point in duplicating
	work when there's existing code.
	irs -> nsswitch porting might be possible if you give me some time,
	but i'm not sure of it (nsswitch itself is not thread safe, and
	nsswitch is just for hostname lookup if i understand right).

itojun