Subject: re: daily (& security) mail not delivered
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/29/2003 01:09:37
   On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 08:47:00AM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
   > Given the recent revelation that this fellow is the guy that checked
   > in without thorough testing, and his admission that "sysinst isn't
   > something i know all that much about", maybe I ought to test his
   > other claims as well....

   FWIW sysinst doesn't do a load of config stuff that really ought to be done.
   It doesn't even ask for a hostname!

uh, it sure does.  see net.c:MSG_net_host... it also writes it to
the rc.conf file if it didn't get it from dhcp.

   Never mind sorting out the 'owner' user - to send all these security
   report mails to.  After all we recommend that you never log in as root,
   so sending mail to root is not dissimilar to sending it to /dev/null.

heh.  we recommend not logging in directly as root - not to never
become root ;-)

.mrg.