Subject: re: daily (& security) mail not delivered
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/28/2003 17:37:29
   >> sendmail likes to fully qualify things, especially for smtp
   >> transactions.  if i "echo test | mail root", my fully qualified
   >> hostname gets added.  if i "echo test | mail root@localhost", the
   >> localhost piece gets removed and replaced with my fully qualified
   >> hostname.  it sounds to me like your machine wasn't completely
   >> configured.
   >
   >You mean "sounds to me like your machine wasn't completely configured
   >BY SYSINST."  Yes, that's why I'm raising the issues.

   sysinst isn't something i know all that much about.  i do, however,
   know how i want my machines to behave, so i check all sorts of things
   and tweak stuff manually all the time.  as to what sysinst does, or
   how much it should or should not, i can't say.

the problem is that /etc/daily, /etc/security, etc., used to all
"just work" for a default install.  since sendmail was upgraded
a while ago that hasn't been the case.  something needs to be
done by hand to make this work...

ie, you broke a feature of netbsd ... do you not consider that
to be a problem?

.mrg.