Subject: Re: replacement for /etc/passwd
To: Alan Post <apost@interwoven.com>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: tech-security
Date: 12/11/2002 00:53:25
Alan Post wrote:

> If you can write to /etc/userdb/apost/homedir, then you must have
> access to my files already, so how is this a new problem?

I always found it a bit reassuring that nobody could change my password
  (except for root of course) just because I happened to turn my back
for a couple seconds, even if he was logged in under my user-id.  This
(apart from the quota issue) also seems to be reflected in not being
able (today) to chown a file to another user (otherwise, one could
easily copy /bin/sh to somewhere, chown it to the user, and set the suid
bit.)  It's just another simple security-enhancing mechanism that might
be handy in some situations.
Also, as already mentioned, there's the issue of performance.  And if
you've got tens of thousands of users in your local passwd (which,
admittedly, probably isn't all too common anymore these days) that would
mean a _lot_ of files for /etc/userdb; which probably would slow down
access to that directory significantly, not to speak about the many
inodes that would have to be available for that (I for example prefer a
very small root-directory.)  Of course people who want to accomodate so
many users could certainly use different parameters for sizing their
filesystems but still.

--
Matthias Buelow