Subject: Re: tar ignores filenames that contain `..'
To: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 10/23/2002 18:44:34
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 09:35:33AM -0700, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> Isn't is straightforward to extract the files from the tar archive in a
> temporary area, and recreate the tar file with the command line
> parameters that force it to use full directory paths?

At the current time, distfiles are extracted into the ${WRKDIR}, which
is specially set up for that purpose.  pax and the new GNU tar will
not do that properly with distfiles which contain symbolic links with
a ".." component in them.

We want everything in the binary package to be relative to ${PREFIX},
not to have absolute paths.

Or are we talking at cross-purposes here?

Regards,
Alistair