Subject: Re: what's in a name? fingerprinted exec
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 10/16/2002 10:51:01
[ On Wednesday, October 16, 2002 at 22:05:15 (+0930), Brett Lymn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: what's in a name? fingerprinted exec
>
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:08:32AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > I think verified exec is best, but it is a mouthful. How about V exec or
> > Vexec, where V is for verified? :-)
> >

> How about "verixec"?  VERIfied eXEC

I don't see the point of contracting the meaning right out of the words
just to make some silly new word which rolls off the tounge reasonably
easily.  I think "verified exec" is perfectly fine all by itself.  It
encapsulates the meaning of the concept without too many chances for
false connotations or mis-perceptions and though it already uses a bit
of jargon ("exec"), it doesn't invent new jargon.

With popularity and wide-spread use some well understood contraction or
acronym may evolve or drift down into books and documentation just as
has happened with "exec".  However attempting to cause its precipitation
before anyone can even use the tool in question is, I think, putting the
cart before the horse.  After all I hope we're still not looking for
some identifier symbol name that has to fit in six characters!  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods