Subject: Re: Can't CVS for the recent security announcements
To: None <tech-security@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 10/11/2002 19:31:09
At 5:54 PM -0700 10/11/02, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>I'm now trying to update on a second system. I'm using the suggested:
>
>    /usr/src# export CVS_RSH=ssh
>    /usr/src# cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot update -Pd
>-r netbsd-1-6 libexec/talkd
>
>That seems to get the files from CVS just fine. However, after a cd
>to libexec/talkd:
>
># make cleandir dependall
>rm -f talkd.o announce.o process.o table.o print.o  talkd.ln
>announce.ln process.ln table.ln print.ln
>rm -f a.out [Ee]rrs mklog core *.core ntalkd
>rm -f talkd.cat8
>rm -f .depend /usr/src/libexec/talkd/tags
>CC=/usr/src/tools/tools.NetBSD-1.6-i386/bin/i386--netbsdelf-gcc
>/usr/src/tools/tools.NetBSD-1.6-i386/bin/nbmkdep -a  -nostdinc
>-isystem /usr/include  talkd.c announce.c process.c table.c print.c
>/usr/src/tools/tools.NetBSD-1.6-i386/bin/nbmkdep: not found
>*** Error code 127
>
>Stop.
>make: stopped in /usr/src/libexec/talkd
>#
>
>What might I be doing wrong? This is kind of weird because it worked
>fine on another 1.6 system.

An off-list response fixed this for me. The above indicates that you
should first do in /usr/src:

	./build.sh -t

After doing that, the fixes mostly work. For the two security
problems in the gnu chain, "make cleandir dependall" gives errors
that say that a library can't be found. If you go up one level from
where you get that error and into a directory that looks like the
missing library, then do  "make cleandir dependall" there, you can
install the tools.

Security announcements that say "you fix this problem by doing foo",
but you need to know all sorts of additional magic in order to get
foo to work, probably leads to many people not getting their security
holes fixed.

--Paul Hoffman