Subject: Re: openssl license change
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/24/2002 20:36:29
And one more thing, just in case I wasn't clear.   I'm not actually
advocating shipping the relevant code at all (even in source form).
I have no idea if it is useful for anything (to NetBSD users,
obviously the openssl people must have believed it to be of some use).

All my arguments have been, is against the "that notice in the header
of the files means that we can't ship it".   That's unsupportable.

If you don't want to include it because the code is rubbish.  Fine.
If you don't want to include it because it does nothing useful, fine.
If you don't want to include it, because it is implementing a patented
algorithm, and you want to campaign against patented algorithms, also fine.

Just don't use the patent covenant as an excuse for one of those.

kre