Subject: RE: 1024 bit key considered insecure (sshd)
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: David Lawler Christiansen \(NT\) <davidchr@windows.microsoft.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 09/16/2002 15:54:51
(preserving the EULA)

> "You agree that in order to protect the integrity of content=20
> and software protected by digital rights management ('Secure=20
> Content'), Microsoft may provide security related updates to=20
> the OS Components that will be automatically downloaded onto=20
> your computer. These security related updates may disable=20
> your ability to copy and/or play Secure Content and use other=20
> software on your computer. If we provide such a security=20
> update, we will use reasonable efforts to post notices on a=20
> web site explaining the update."
>
> This is apparently appearing in all service packs, now....

I call attention to the qualifying phrase, here: "in order to protect
the integrity of content and software protected by digital rights
management ('Secure Content')".

> Got to like that. "...and use other software." Essentially,=20
> this gives MS the right to disable anything on your system=20
> they want, at any time.

(disclaimer: I am not a lawyer-- my opinion is just that)

Actually (IMHO), this doesn't give us that right.  That gives MS the
right to prevent you from using certain DRM-enabled data. =20

If we used whatever mystery mechanism is eluded to in the EULA to
prevent you from using, say, a non-Microsoft wordprocessor, then IMHO
we'd be violating the terms of the EULA.  Rest assured, if we did that,
someone would sue us -- not a great way to succeed in the business
world.
=20
-----
This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
Message may originate from an unmonitored alias ("davespam").  If so,
use "davidchr" if a direct reply is required.=20
Any opinions or policies stated within are my own and do not necessarily
constitute those of my employer.
I reside in Washington, USA, where Title 19 declares that sending me
Unsolicited Commercial Email can result in a $500 fine.
Harvesting of this address for purposes of bulk email (spam and UCE) is
expressly prohibited unless by my explicit prior request.  I retaliate
viciously against spammers and spam sites.