Subject: Re: 1024 bit key considered insecure (sshd)
To: Karsten W. Rohrbach <karsten@rohrbach.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/29/2002 09:30:17
"Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de> writes:
> Perry E. Metzger(perry@piermont.com)@2002.08.29 02:08:27 +0000:
> > I do. If someone with millions of dollars to spend on custom designed
> > hardware wants to break into your computer, I assure you that
> > increasing the size of your ssh keys will not stop them. Nor, for that
>
> you missed the concept behind crypto in general, i think. it's not about
> stopping someone from accessing private resources, but rather making
> that approach to make access to these resources /very/ unattractive, by
> increasing the amount of time (and thus $$$) an attacker has to effort
> to get access.

I would have thought spending at least hundreds of millions off
dollars and (as importantly) at least months of time would have been
considered "unattractive" enough to encourage other methods of getting
at your data like breaking in to your physical location. Silly me. I
guess I missed the concept behind crypto.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com
--
"Ask not what your country can force other people to do for you..."