Subject: Re: 1024 bit key considered insecure (sshd)
To: George F. Costanzo <afx@pkl.net>
From: 'Karsten W. Rohrbach' <karsten@rohrbach.de>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/29/2002 11:20:48
--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

George F. Costanzo(afx@pkl.net)@2002.08.29 18:57:18 +0000:
> > you missed the concept behind crypto in general, i think. it's not
> > about stopping someone from accessing private resources, but rather
> > making that approach to make access to these resources /very/
> > unattractive, by increasing the amount of time (and thus $$$) an
> > attacker has to effort to get access.
>=20
> Yes, to increase the time/cost in breaking the key to outweigh the cost
> of the information that will be gained.

one might remark, as a sidenote, that crypto is just one of the building
blocks to system security. what if the crypto in use is really tough,
but the software framework employing it is full of bugs, or misdesigned
is one question. the other question (as raised in the verious
discussions around pgp/gpg in the last years) is, that - if somebody
wants to access encrypted resources - it might be a better approach for
him to get access by brute (physical) force.

> If the information you're trying to protect is worth that much to you,
> you'll take the extra steps needed to increase key length. Otherwise,
> the default will be fine for most users.

seconded, whereas the security measures need to go a little further if
the resources protected really are /that/ valuable ;-)

> Schneier is blowing this out of proportion a little, quoting Lucky's
> decision throughout. Lucky is overly paranoid and Schneier knows it. He
> also uses the article to bring up (read: plug) his pretty accurate key
> length estimates. Schneier's motives have been slightly dubious for
> awhile.

:->

regards,
/k

--=20
> A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is
> having fun.
WebMonster Community Project -- Reliable and quick since 1998 -- All on BSD
http://www.webmonster.de/ - ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ - http://www.rohrbach.=
de/
GnuPG:   0xDEC948A6 D/E BF11 83E8 84A1 F996 68B4  A113 B393 6BF4 DEC9 48A6
REVOKED: 0x2964BF46 D/E 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46
REVOKED: 0x4C44DA59 RSA F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44
My mail is GnuPG signed - Unsigned ones might be bogus - http://www.gnupg.o=
rg/
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB--