Subject: Re: Heads up: suspicious source distribution of OpenSSH 3.4p1 found (xs4)
To: Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 08/02/2002 12:21:26
In message <3.0.5.32.20020802175843.007fb1d0@pop.xs4all.nl>, Rogier Krieger wri
tes:
>It seems there is already a third party verification going on: the MD5 (and
>SHA1) signatures listed in the pkgsrc makefiles. FreeBSD does a similar
>thing in its ports collection.
>
>It might be a nice feature to allow the pkgsrc make process not only detect
>checksum mismatches but also automatically (opt-in) report them to the
>maintainer, including the version of the package, so false positives can be
>weeded out. As David Maxwell pointed out, notifications are important.

No -- the most common cause of checksum failures in pkgsrc is a file
remaining from a partial or interrupted download.  There would be far
too many false positives.  A better solution would be a cron job that
grabbed every file and checked it -- but a clever attacker who knew the
source IP address of the verifier machine could return different files
to it than to the rest of the world.

>As far as I've read on this issue, the files on the distribution server
>*did* fail the checksum verification. I haven't seen much (i.e. anything so
>far) on how the trojaned files got
>on the distribution locations. I wonder where things went wrong, but the
>pkgsrc in NetBSD would normally have detected any trouble. Same goes for
>the FreeBSD ports collection.

Of course, that begs the question of where the checksum information
comes from.  If it's on the same Web site and not digitally signed, it
won't do a lot of good.

		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)