Subject: Re: rfc2228 in ftpd
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/23/2002 23:50:47
der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:
> >    It is a regrettably well spread misconception that publication as an
> >    RFC provides some level of recognition.  It does not, or at least not
> >    any more than the publication in a regular journal.
>
> Um, then why do Internet-Drafts exist, if RFCs are still what they were
> originally intended to be?

So that people can hash out and rehash out the text with their friends
in the working group. Having to publish all 20 versions of the text
you go through while discussing it with people as individual RFCs
would be stupid. They are designed as "works in progress".

BTw, that document I quoted is quite old. It is hardly a recent
development.

Perry