Subject: Re: rfc2228 in ftpd
To: Aidan Cully <aidan@kublai.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/23/2002 22:46:27
In message <20020624013021.GA2887@coleridge.kublai.com>, Aidan Cully writes:
>On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 07:02:15PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure I was even aware of that RFC before now. Are we sure the
>> IETF still considers it to be a standards track document?
>
>Can you un-RFC something except by superseding it?
>draft-murray-auth-ftp-ssl uses some of the commands from rfc2228, and
>gives a summary at the end.  We've also had rfc2228 stubs in ftpcmd.y
>for years, and I'm sure I've mentioned this before.

The IESG can move a document to "Historic" status.  Generally, that's
done by an RFC explaining why.  I don't know of any attempt to do that
to 2228, and I probably would if one were pending.

That doesn't mean that anyone is or isn't using it -- there are many
unused Proposed Standards.  Whether or not the IETF should undertake
the consider effort necessary to clean these up is debatable.

		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)