Subject: Re: Not really an advocacy :-(
To: None <ivan.dolezal@vsb.cz>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 06/21/2002 10:56:37
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 ivan.dolezal@vsb.cz wrote:

> > You could use pkg_add and be done with it almost as quick. In fact, if you
> > trusted it enough, you could something via cron too.
>

> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.5.2/alpha/All/
>
> No way.

You snipped out my other relevant comments. (I didn't say that location.
In fact, I didn't recall you were using alpha. On that note: this is an
open source project -- if you can provide machines and bandwidth and time
to provide more frequently built packages, that would be great.)

> Now I found out that the update is in
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/pkgsrc/www/apache/
> .but patches/ is dated 06/21/02  06:17:00

So that one is recent. (But earlier that some other "commercial"
operating systems.)

> Is that the spirit of NetBSD that for day-to-day operation you should
> not need to play with -current tree? <http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/> I
> thought that it was Linux mantra to live "permanently under
> development." Unfortunately, the image is different: while they released
> patches to formal releases, I am forced to go to current tree...

I was told there are regular builds of pkgsrc for alpha built against
1.5-release (so not -current).  Maybe you could have asked on the alpha
list for where you could find them. Maybe another package was available
sooner. (It is the admin's responsibility -- unless you pay for some
support contract.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/