Subject: Re: arc4random(9)
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/29/2002 14:16:24
>>I understand your position, but I think the name is honestly a very
>>bad one.
>>What if we worked to get FreeBSD etc. to change the name, too?
>
>	i think it too late, just like good old "CREAT instead of CREATE"
>	example.  it is way too widely deployed, it's not only for BSD but also
>	in tons of thirdparty softwares, like pipermail, linux PAM, linux ipsec,
>	apache2, and more.

i think this argument is a bit of a red herring because, unless i'm
very much mistaken, this is something that goes into the kernel and
doesn't have a "public" interface that can be called from userspace.

if this is indeed so, then pipermail, linux pam, and apache2 will not
be using it by that name since they're userspace applications, and
linux ipsec doesn't matter either because that's only in their
kernel...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|