Subject: Re: DNS question, a bit off topic.
To: joe bsd <joebsd1@yahoo.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 05/02/2002 13:25:16
Hello Joe .. or is it Guy?

On Thu, 2 May 2002, joe bsd wrote:

> ns1.awesomeopossum.com  should now resolve to 12.234.130.218.
>
> Sometimes it does and sometimes it resolves to the old address:
>  12.234.138.62.

> root@ns1 /etc/namedb # nslookup ns1.awesomeopossum.com ns5.attbi.com

> Does anybody have any clues about why I'm having these problems?

Yes -- don't use nslookup because it often gives unclear results or
messages.

When researching DNS, try starting at the begining -- the root-servers.
And then GTLD-SERVERS, and then B.NS.JOKER.com and C.NS.JOKER.com. (No
A.NS.JOKER.com listed by L.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.)

So the authorities, C and B.NS.JOKER.com, both return 12.234.130.218.

All is well. I assume your old IP was still cached by one of the name
servers.

(This is not a tech-security mailing list issue.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/