Subject: Re: [lists@globalintersec.com: [Global InterSec 2002041701] Sudo
To: Oleg Polyanski <Oleg.Polianski@clear.co.nz>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-security
Date: 04/26/2002 19:01:33
[ On Friday, April 26, 2002 at 21:04:36 (+1200), Oleg Polyanski wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [lists@globalintersec.com: [Global InterSec 2002041701] Sudo  Password Prompt Vulnerability.]
>
> woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>
> > A proper dedicated set-ID program that can't be mis-configured so
> > easily would be an almost infinitely better alternative than sudo.
>
>  Would you ever consider making the `umount(8)' program set-ID only
>  just to let somebody to unmount CD-ROM / floppy drive?

No, absolutely not.  I wouldn't write a set-ID-root wrapper program that
called umount(8) either -- I'd write a wrapper that called umount(2)
after carefully validating all the necessary parameters (or rather I'd
borrow and carefully read and test one of the several existing version :-)

>  Again, you can't delegate permissions to a dedicated user in order
>  to let them to unmount a volume.

It's just a small matter of programming.....

--
								Greg A. Woods