Subject: Re: YP and passwd.conf (was Re: default passwd.conf file)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@interlude.eu.org>
List: tech-security
Date: 04/16/2002 08:01:53
Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> One thing that came to me when catching up with this thread is that this
> change of default will hose people setting up a YP server for the first
> time.

sysinst gives people the following choice (although it should really parse
passwd.conf instead of replacing it). Also, now that I think about it,
changing the defaults in libutil isn't such a good idea, since that will
pull the rug out from under people who upgrade from source and don't touch
/etc.

--

 Please choose the password cipher to use.  NetBSD can be configured to use
 either the DES or MD5 schemes.

 The traditional DES scheme is compatible with most other Unix-like operating
 systems, but only the first 8 characters of any password will be recognised.
 The MD5 scheme allows for longer passwords, and some would argue that it's
 more secure.

 If you have a network and intend to use NIS, please bear in mind the
 capabilities of other machines on your network.

                              * Password cipher *
                              *>a: MD5          *
                              * b: DES          *