Subject: Re: Rumours about Apache 1.3.22 exploits -> analysis of so-called exploit client
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-security
Date: 03/07/2002 14:50:00
On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:46:29PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 12:07:31AM -0500, Sean Davis wrote:
> > First, I want to thank everybody who has posted information on this - it's
> > something that (for obvious reasons) we don't want on our machines.
> >
> > I have a question, however. Does this "virus" only affect Linux hosts?
> > I personally do not run Linux, and have not for some time (all the security
> > problems being just one of many reasons, but I don't want this to become an
> > OS war)
> >
> > I run NetBSD. NetBSD has, as an option. Linux binary emulation.
> > Now, while I don't think there is any way for this virus to infect any other
> > files on your system (that you do not own) unless you are root, how exactly
> > is this program getting root?
> >
> > Stop me if I'm wrong - but this thread was originally about apache exploits.
> > Where is the vulnerability, apache, php, or what?
>
> In this specific case, the exploit is in php (unless I misunderstood the
> wulnerability it's about).

I think the vulnerability in question is in PHP. Is the version of PHP4 in
NetBSD pkgsrc fixed? I've disabled php in apache since I don't use it much
anyway, but I'd feel a lot better about re-enabling it if I knew it was no
longer an issue.

--
/~\ The ASCII                         Sean Davis
\ / Ribbon Campaign                    aka dive